A French term, ‘pavé’ refers to a jewelry setting technique in which small jewels are set closely together–so closely, in fact, that you don’t see any metal between the stones. When the pavéed stones are diamonds, the effect is dazzling.
Note to Operation Write Home cardmakers: While this technique significantly reduces stray glitter, the possibility of glitter flakes still remains. Thus, I do not recommend this technique for cards to deployed troops.
(For a close-up view of this technique and how the glitter captures the color of the cardstock, click on the image; click again to zoom in further. This photo is a detail from the ‘Cozy Cottage’ Mini Milk Carton Bigz L treat holder.)
- punches (or Crop-A-Dile)
- Sticky Page (cut off a portion large enough to cover cardstock to be punched)
- Dazzling Diamonds
- Powder Pal
- mini glue dot (or other adhesive to adhere finished embellishment to your project)
- Remove white backing paper from Sticky Page and apply Sticky Page to cardstock (leaving red protective covering on).
- Punch prepared cardstock into desired shape.
- Remove red protective covering from punched shape
- Holding punched shape over Powder Pal, pour Dazzling Diamonds onto exposed sticky surface, covering completely.
- Tap off excess Dazzling Diamonds and use Pawder Pal to return excess to container.
- Burnish Dazzling Diamonds into sticky surface well by rubbing between thumb and forefingers. (Burnishing is complete when sticky surface is completely covered by Dazzling Diamonds AND you can rub a clean finger across the surface without picking up any loose glitter.)
- Run your fingertip along the edge of the punched shape to remove any stray glitter remaining at the edges.
- To use your pavéed embellishment, put a mini glue dot (or other adhesive) on the back and adhere to your project.
- Stand back and admire your work!
To see this technique in action, check out the Technique Library (Pavé Diamonds), which features projects like these:
- ‘Cozy Cottage’ Mini Milk Carton treat holder
- ‘Merci, Madame Butterfly’ artist trading card
- ‘Teen Heart Throb’ Simply Adorned charm insert.
So what do you think of the Pavé Diamonds technique? Got any ideas for how you might use, or–for those who’ve tried it–any tips you’d like to share? Post your comments below–we’d love to hear your take!